Cymbet Overview 2016
Corporate Profile: Cymbet Corporation is the leader in solid-state energy storage solutions for microelectronic systems. The company is the first to market eco-friendly biocompatable rechargeable solid state batteries that provide electronic systems designers with new embedded power capabilities. The company's EnerChip™ batteries enable new concepts in energy storage application for ICs and new products for medical, sensor, RFID, industrial control, communications and portable electronic devices. Founded in 2000, Cymbet has fabrication facilities in Elk River MN and Lubbock TX.. Cymbet Overview Article in EEWeb Magazine - PDF Here>>
Technology: Cymbet solid state batteries utilize semiconductor fabrication processes to produce a rechargeable energy storage device with no liquids, gels, or harmful chemicals. EnerChip devices have the unique capability to be packaged as a standard semiconductor component or as a bare die co-packaged with other integrated circuits. Cymbet has a broad patent portfolio covering enforceable aspects of materials, design, manufacturing and applications. The EnerChip Embedded Energy video >>
Cymbet Solutions: Industry transition to low power IC chips requires new low cost, integrated energy storage options not met by current solutions. Battery wear-out, high integration cost, bulky size, high failure rate over life of product and disposal issues create a new solution opportunity. Cymbet's EnerChip™ is a solid state battery with integrated power management in a cost effective surface mount package. The EnerChip is permanently rechargeable and eco-friendly overcoming the limitations of disposable batteries for electronic applications. EnerChip devices can be co-packaged with other semiconductor integrated circuits in a single package or delivered as an surface mount technology (SMT) component. The EnerChip can provide a few days to a few weeks of battery backup power where non-volatility is important or primary power for wireless sensors, active tags and medical applications. With innovations not previously available, the Cymbet EnerChip™ provides an extremely small footprint, high energy density, rechargeability, high-speed SMT assembly and solder re-flow tolerance.
Customer Value: Key customer benefits include: 10 year life that eliminates battery replacement • Low cost integration using SMT automated assembly • Space-saving small footprint and thin form factor • Long life through low self discharge • RoHS compliant with no harmful chemicals • Lead free solder reflow capable • Easy disposal.
Partners, Sales and Distribution: Key partnerships: Texas Instruments, Microchip, Micro Crystal, X-FAB, Cymbet Premier Development Partners, others. Direct regional sales force across North America. Global Distribution partners are highlighted on our Distributors webpage.
Manufacturing: Cymbet has two facilities in the USA: Elk River, MN (Minneapolis/St. Paul suburb) and Lubbock, Texas. The Lubbock fab site is co-located with X-FAB Inc. - one of the the leading foundry groups for analog/mixed-signal semiconductor applications. With this Texas facility, Cymbet is the world's largest volume manufacturer of solid state batteries.
Cymbet Leadership: The Cymbet team has industry leading experience in battery chemistries, materials, electrochemistry, manufacturing, low power electronics, customer service and technical support. The management team - all with 20+ years of relevant industry experience - has proven experience to grow a significant company.
- Monte Johnson - CEO - Joined Cymbet in 2010 as VP and CFO. Monte has over 35 years of business experience with private equity and publicly traded companies. He has held senior positions at a number of technology companies including General Electric, Honeywell, Dascom Systems and Ciprico.
- James Iannucci - VP Operations - Joined Cymbet in 2016 with over 35 years of operations experience in electronics and the semiconductor industry. James was previously VP Operations for ams AG with prior experience at Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions and Optek Technology.
- Dr. Morgan Thoma - VP Engineering and Manufacturing - Joined Cymbet in 2006 with over 25 years of engineering and manufacturing experience in the semiconductor industry. Morgan previously held VP-level positions in engineering, technology and manufacturing at Bell Labs and Intersil.
- Dr. Steve Downey - CTO - Joined Cymbet in 2006 and has more than 25 years of experience related to the development and implementation of processes related to the semiconductor industry. Steve began his career at Los Alamos National Laboratory and spent 23 years at Bell Labs/Agere Systems.
- Jeff Sather - VP Technology and Customer Solutions - Joined Cymbet in 2001 with over 25 years of experience in designing, developing and testing integrated circuits. Jeff prior experience includes design and process integration roles at Honeywell and LSI Corp. (now Avago).
Cymbet Board of Directors: The Cymbet BoD includes members with extensive technical, operations, sales and marketing experience in semiconductors and related industries.
- Jacob Jacobsson - Board Chair - Joined Cymbet Board in 2013. Currently serves as Board chair at Safello and Helic Inc. and as a board member for: ams AG (Austria), Runtime Design Automation and RFMicron Inc. Jacob was President and CEO of: Blaze DFM Inc., Forte Design Systems, and SDS.
- Mike Bartlett - Joined Cymbet Board in 2005, and has over 30 years of experience in the electronics and semiconductor industries. Mike currently serves as President of Vital Art and Science, and was a VP at Texas Instruments where he brought may new products to market.
- Carlo Strippoli - Joined Cymbet Board in 2013, and has over 40 years of experience in the semiconductor industry. Carlo was previously a senior executive in Sales and Marketing at ams AG (Austria), AMS-Taos USA and Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, and 25 years at Texas Instruments.
- Dan Auton - Joined Cymbet Board in 2016, and has over 30 years of experience in semiconductors, hardware and intellectual property. Dan is currently Segment Marketing Director for ams AG, began his career at Intel, and also worked at Cyrix (National Semiconductor), Parthus, and NXP Semiconductor.
- Monte Johnson - Joined Cymbet Board in 2015, is Cymbet CEO and has over 35 years of business experience in numerous senior level positions. Monte has significant experience with private equity and publicly traded companies. He has held senior positions at a number of technology companies including General Electric, Honeywell, Dascom Systems and Ciprico.